News:

The Purple Parade is marching in full stride to the beat of that 'other' drum we all hear, but generally ignore. ;)

Main Menu

New Board Upgrade!

Started by Nightcrawler, November 14, 2006, 03:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightcrawler

Well, how do you like that?

I have talked about this one for a long time and finally decided to do it. Our board here while nice, was becoming very outdated in several ways. Aside from new features for you guys to play with, it's much better with resources and has a host of administrative options to help me better maintain the board and fight the good fight against spam! Spam was starting to become a very large issue

I have upgraded to YaBB 2. It didn't go that smoothly actually. I ended up hacking the upgrade script to properly convert all our messages and accounts until I was satisfied with the results. ;) This board is coded in Perl... ugh.

Anyway, same good old TransCorp look and feel, hopefully new and improved functionality.

Please alert me immediately if you have any problems, notice anything that doesn't look right or want to see something changed for the better. ;)
ROMhacking.net - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.

Tintenfisch

My mind is blown and excited.  This is radicle and tubular!  Maybe more people will come now?
Megaman makes everything better.  baking, soccer, racing, radio shows and of course the average pool party.

Nightcrawler

They will. I also did the upgrade knowing that Wozz will be released in 3 weeks or less now. ;) If Wozz is at least as popular as Dual Orb 2, it should bring in a surge of activity here.

I am interested in reviving this place nonetheless though. I'm not sure what to do with it yet. Need to give people some good reason to start coming again. The web page might be due for a small revamp under the hood to start delivering some more content easier.

Who knows. Any ideas?

Tintenfisch

Well the way I see it people aren't coming here since theres RHDN.  So we can either.

1) Destroy RHDN!!!!!

2) keeping on posting to show people this ain't a dead place and hope they come back

3) have something RHDN doesn't have.  There's bound to be something since this is your board entirely and don't need to consider many others when messing around with an idea.

Option two seems like a viable option for me though.
Megaman makes everything better.  baking, soccer, racing, radio shows and of course the average pool party.

KingMike

You could threaten them to visit your board. :D

Or not.

Nightcrawler

I wanted to revive this board. It was always a nice small quiet place. RHDN gets on my nerves sometimes. Most larger boards do, moreso when you're in charge. Too many people, too many conflicting views and debates, and as Titenfisch mentioned, if I want to do a fair job, serve the site justice, and be community leader there, I have to cater to the majority and their needs. Here I don't have to worry about any of that.

It's sad that by creating RHDN I essentially temporarily killed this place. Everybody just went there and stopped posting here. I think people lost sight that this board here, due to it's small and quiet nature, can still be a very different and more personal place than RHDN. It's certainly worth keeping around in my opinion and freshening up around here.

Tintenfisch

I think most of the problem stems from people not knowing what to say.  Even over at RHDN it's been pretty quiet.  So when people finally do come up with something they figure they might as well post it over at RHDN.

But I do check back once in a while and everytime I do there are always either 2 or 3 guests so I can't be the only one.  Plus there's always someone new joining.

Princess

It's nice to see that you still care about this board.  This was a happening place with a lot of nice people around.  I hope you can create that environment once again.   :)

Oh and the upgrades are pretty nifty!  (But spell check would be nice)

Gideon Zhi

If I may make a slight nitpicky suggestion... strictly speaking, the large-ish blank space between the subforum types (the space that segregates the board into General, Romhacking, and Transcorp) just isn't sitting right with me, aesthetically speaking. I think it'd look better if they rubbed up against each other, in much the same way that the Forum Name bar rubs up against the General Message Board subforum.

Just a suggestion! It looks great otherwise.

Nightcrawler

Well, they're rubbing now. I originally didn't like the space at first either, but now that I've put them together, I think I may prefer it they way it was with the space. Now that you can see them rubbing, what do you think?

Princess:
It'll take some time to get this place going again to it's glory days, but it'll get there. I have some plans to revamp the backend of the website to deliver some better, more frequently updated content here. Maybe give people some more reasons to come back more frequently.

Of course Wozz is right on schedule to see it's release in about 2 weeks time. I anticipate that will bring in some people here as well. I considered unveiling the upgraded forum on the same day, but I wanted to give it a test period and make  sure everything was working OK first since it was a pretty hefty upgrade.

Gideon Zhi

Mmm, I do think I prefer it the way it is now (with no big black space between each subforum.) Does anyone else have an opinion?

Zero2K3

I also think that its perfect the way it is now.

Nightcrawler

You know, I really expected the release of Wozz to bring some life back to the board like Dual Orb 2 did, but nobody has really posted anywhere but in the wozz topic.  :'( Maybe it's beyond help...

Nightcrawler

Well, the board has received another upgrade! It's quite disheartening though to see the previous board upgrade topic from 2006 was still on the first page! No sense in starting a new one!

Due to all the changes, some of which were incompatible, I had to kind of re-set everything up again and re-implement the TransCorp template to the revised layout and a few of our custom code changes (I hate Perl).

I like YaBB, but damn do they make upgrading difficult! It's always a task to get things going smoothly again. They need to get a auto upgrade script or something going!

So.. if you notice anything that doesn't look right or have any problems let me know. At first glance, everything appears to be back to normal now.