News:

The Purple Parade is marching in full stride to the beat of that 'other' drum we all hear, but generally ignore. ;)

Main Menu

Working Designs' games now longer goes to 11.

Started by KingMike, December 13, 2005, 11:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mades

whoah there!

D: no, whatever i write here is NOT a sample of my writing abilities. why would i waste my time to write something you'll understand in this format anyway? i keep my ability for myself at the moment. only if you knew how my style actually looked like. don't waste your time trying to insult me--- i have a lot patience and i'm much smarter than you could possibly imagine. i write fantasy in such a style that isn't very tradtional. it's quite interesting though.

D, don't waste your saliva on insults. i DON'T deserve THAT from YOU. and D, now, you're far from having the possibility to see any sample from me.

EienNiHen: i never said i was an editor--- a writer. i leave the editing to others- i just write is all. and, you should be ashamed of yourself for insulting me. what did I do to YOU? grow up.

D and EienNiHen, READ THIS: you two can't just go around doubting other people's abilities, and then insult them (ESPECIALLY when you've never seen those abilities). who gave you that right? don't you ever dare do that again. i'm asking nicely.

have i ever showed either of you such disrespect?

Mades

EienNiHen

;DThis is the seriously the funniest thing I've read all day.  I don't think you realize how pompous you sound.  I'm sorry, I can't help but laugh.

I didn't mean to insult you, but you strongly hinted in your last post that you are either an editor or a writer, and generally people who write (or read) frequently have above-average grammar, punctuation, and spelling.  For a writer, I would think that practically anything written is a sample of work.  I mean, why do you think that writers like H.P. Lovecraft have had whole volumes of their personal letters published?

In short, I apologize, but please don't be so sensitive.
All your cliche are belong to us.

byuu

Yeah, ever since I've bothered to start capitalizing words at the beginning of sentences and looking up words I don't know how to spell, I've noticed I type more and more in my best writing ability just about everywhere. Maybe because message boards are public, or something. Only on AIM and IRC do I talk like a retarded third grader. And no, I'm not saying that you talk like that, mades. Anyone who bothers to type out you instead of abbreviating it is okay by me. For everyone else, there's Greasemonkey.

mades

:::EienNiHen:::

first off, these things that are written here are far from being letters, books, manuscripts, articles or anything of that sort.

secondly, would you like getting insulted by a stranger who knows nothing about you? i don't think so. sensitive, i don't think so. you can't just go in some forum and start laughing and insulting some guy like that. so, grow up. how old are you anyways? in your post, you sound like a 14 year old kid. if you are, well...

you know, i could say loads about you, even though i don't know you, and trust me- you'd be fucken hurt by those comments. but, do you know why i don't? because i'm not an asshole (however, i am not implying you are).

thirdly-- when you said this ".......but you strongly hinted in your last post that you are either an editor or a writer". i DID say i was a writer. editor, no. i leave the final edits to others. i'm not very good at looking at my own work, mainly because my own perspective is mine alone, while the one of others can detect mistakes more easily, as well as discern whether or not there's missing something. i write fantasy and some other stuff on the side (poetry)

lastly, i'm sorry, i cannot accept your apologies. when you say or do something, there is NOTHING that you can do that can make it right. in my life, i've done loads of things that made people cry, pissed, annoyed etc.. tell me, do you think that i could have either done or said something to make those people forget those actions? no. what you say or do cannot be undone. life is not that easy. think about that. when you insult someone; cheat on your girlfriend/boyfriend; hurt someone or if you give someone a 'look', he'll remember.

and, who the hell do you think YOU are to call me pompous? maybe you don't realise how much of an ass you are.

apologies? get real. i'm not interested in apologies that are insincere. maybe you could come around when you mean them. right now, you're on my bad side.

lastly, i wanna give you a little lesson here: you see, whenever i'm on some forum, i sorta write as i talk. secondly, i technically don't actually speak english. maybe if you'd come down here in Montreal you'd notice that most of us talk 'Canadian'. that's a combination of English and French. so, whenever we're in forums, we combine the structure of both languages. mind you, when we're talking, we talk English and French. a word in English, another in French. you know, if you'd understand the whole thing behind our two languages (and how we use them), maybe you'd understand that we're different than YOU, an american. so, before judging others, try understanding them.

Mades

mades

QuoteYeah, ever since I've bothered to start capitalizing words at the beginning of sentences and looking up words I don't know how to spell, I've noticed I type more and more in my best writing ability just about everywhere. Maybe because message boards are public, or something. Only on AIM and IRC do I talk like a retarded third grader. And no, I'm not saying that you talk like that, mades. Anyone who bothers to type out you instead of abbreviating it is okay by me. For everyone else, there's Greasemonkey.

some stuff i capitalize, but not in forums. to me, i find it a bit annoying. i mean, whenever ur using stuff like microsoft word, it'll do it for you (most of the time), so i don't have to worry much about that stuff. but, uhm, for other things, i just hate it- especially with emails (but, i still try writing okay). usually i write a lot (as opposed to most people). anyway, i rather keep my best stuff for myself. i mean, there's not a lot of people who really don't care about how you write. obviously, if you're writing poetry or doing other works, you'l have to watch out. but, i think i understand why you're doing it the long way. by expressing yourself properly, you sorta force others (including preteens/young teens) to respond in a more intellectual way. although, not a lot of people are intellectual. i have a friend who emails me, and th first time, it was horrible. but the next ones were actually much better.

and Byuu, i get you about the retard part. for practically every post, i felt like a retard. about the IM part- i don't actually IM much. i just use ICQ... but, practically never.

Mades

Kitsune_Sniper

... *twitch*

I'm sorry, but your writing style... ouch. Please, think of the grammar! What did it do to you?

D--

mades: I lived my entire life until this year only 15 minutes from the Canadian border. I was in Canada at least twice a month. "Canadian," as you call it, has nothing to do with the writing you exhibit on this board. If anything, I find Canadians speak excellent English, often better than Americans.

The way you present yourself through text is consistent with the style of American middle-school students reared in the era of text-messages.

If you expect to be treated with any respect on a forum, you should respect yourself enough to convey your words clearly; that means following the rules of grammar and punctuation. English and French both possess cases, yet you use none. English and French both spell out full words except in cases of abbreviations used in official documents or proper nouns, yet you type "u" "ur." English and French both have some concept of grammar, yet your posts are nothing but run-on sentences dotted with periods as you feel appropriate.

Even posters from Germany and Mexico, like KaioShin and Kitsune, and posters who learned English much later in life, like TechMaster, show a far superior command of English than you do—growing up in a country where it was an official language.

If you want to be treated with any degree of respect, write like an adult.

Do not even dare fall back on the argument that Microsoft Word fixes things for you so there is no need to do it yourself. That is complete balderdash. It would be the equivalent of saying tones and being able to write characters doesn't matter in Chinese, because the Microsoft Pinyin IME can just guess what you're trying to say.

If you do any research on the topic, you'll learn Microsoft Word's natural language processing, while the best, misses the most basic mistakes. In fact, Microsoft Word considers the opening sequence of Zero Wing to be "perfect English."

Tintenfisch

Megaman makes everything better.  baking, soccer, racing, radio shows and of course the average pool party.

byuu

Seriously, mades... the best advice you'll ever receive right here: let things go. Especially when it comes to the internet. Getting upset and offended by everyone who doesn't like you is a quick way to end up completely miserable.
I'm not just saying that about you, either. I've taken your stance before. And much, much farther than is healthy. The result?
Case in point. I sound like a four year old child. How anyone tolerated me at all back then, I'll never know. Point is, you can easily end up like that if you're not careful.
But eh. The past is written in stone. Learn from things, and move on.

Everyone telling you to type out "you" and "your" instead of abbreviating aren't saying it to be mean. It really does make a huge difference in how others perceive your intellect. If you don't reflect that you are intelligent, then without actually knowing you or seeing you in person, how do we know you are? Would you assume someone who couldn't be bothered to reach for two extra keys was intelligent, going on nothing else?

Also, try not to take everyone's critiques as personal attacks. I've found a lot of ways to better myself by listening to others before. You just have to admit that maybe you were wrong, every now and then.

mades

Quotemades: I lived my entire life until this year only 15 minutes from the Canadian border. I was in Canada at least twice a month. "Canadian," as you call it, has nothing to do with the writing you exhibit on this board. If anything, I find Canadians speak excellent English, often better than Americans.

The way you present yourself through text is consistent with the style of American middle-school students reared in the era of text-messages.

If you expect to be treated with any respect on a forum, you should respect yourself enough to convey your words clearly; that means following the rules of grammar and punctuation. English and French both possess cases, yet you use none. English and French both spell out full words except in cases of abbreviations used in official documents or proper nouns, yet you type "u" "ur." English and French both have some concept of grammar, yet your posts are nothing but run-on sentences dotted with periods as you feel appropriate.

Even posters from Germany and Mexico, like KaioShin and Kitsune, and posters who learned English much later in life, like TechMaster, show a far superior command of English than you do—growing up in a country where it was an official language.

If you want to be treated with any degree of respect, write like an adult.

Do not even dare fall back on the argument that Microsoft Word fixes things for you so there is no need to do it yourself. That is complete balderdash. It would be the equivalent of saying tones and being able to write characters doesn't matter in Chinese, because the Microsoft Pinyin IME can just guess what you're trying to say.

If you do any research on the topic, you'll learn Microsoft Word's natural language processing, while the best, misses the most basic mistakes. In fact, Microsoft Word considers the opening sequence of Zero Wing to be "perfect English."

sorry D, but...vas te faire foutre. En passant, si seulement tu avais une cervelle... pauvre toi. En plus, tu ne connais rien de nôtre mode de vie. Alors, vient donc apprendre cela ici.
did you get that D?

by the way D, where i live, there in one official language--- French, NOT english (i've lived in parts of the country where the official language was NOT english, so don't try guessing something that you know nothing about). you know so little of Canada and its provinces and territories. so, perhaps you should do PROPER research before saying anything more. oh, and before i forget D, Canadian is NOT english, it's French and English spoken together. how about you try?

lastly, i feel bad for you. bad for the fact that you believe that you're better than everyone else. oh, and i have the right to write as i please. you're not gonna tell me how i can write.

p.s.: what the hell is Zero Wing???

mades

QuoteSeriously, mades... the best advice you'll ever receive right here: let things go. Especially when it comes to the internet. Getting upset and offended by everyone who doesn't like you is a quick way to end up completely miserable.
I'm not just saying that about you, either. I've taken your stance before. And much, much farther than is healthy. The result?
Case in point. I sound like a four year old child. How anyone tolerated me at all back then, I'll never know. Point is, you can easily end up like that if you're not careful.
But eh. The past is written in stone. Learn from things, and move on.

Everyone telling you to type out "you" and "your" instead of abbreviating aren't saying it to be mean. It really does make a huge difference in how others perceive your intellect. If you don't reflect that you are intelligent, then without actually knowing you or seeing you in person, how do we know you are? Would you assume someone who couldn't be bothered to reach for two extra keys was intelligent, going on nothing else?

Also, try not to take everyone's critiques as personal attacks. I've found a lot of ways to better myself by listening to others before. You just have to admit that maybe you were wrong, every now and then.

Byuu, i'm not taking anyone's "critiques", as you call them, as personal attacks--- there are no critiques. although i am extremely offended by D and the other chick.
-------
oh, and whether someone liks me is one thing, but insulting me is another. and, i'm not gonna sit here and take shit from some guy (D) who knows nothing about me.
-------
Byuu, why would i even bother reaching out to the extra keys, as you say, when it'll change nothing? why bother? anyways, i have nothing to prove to D. i think he's an asshole, nothing more--- and to that extent, he proved it. etc. etc. etc.

Byuu, thanx for the concern though.

mades

Quote... *twitch*

I'm sorry, but your writing style... ouch. Please, think of the grammar! What did it do to you?

(This time, I'll be nice. I promise that while I'm writing, I won't butcher anything (not as much))

Kitsune, you have no idea what grammar did to me, do you? Ever since I was a kid, we were bombarded by its torture which haunted us. The mere presence of grammar had a powerful influence over our lives. Kitsune, French grammar is one of the hardest of any to learn. So, pardon me if on forums I let go.

Now, was that better? Now, may I say the following: I'm glad you haven't joined the melee, but rather approached the matter seriously and lightheartedly.

Mades

D--

Quotesorry D, but...vas te faire foutre. En passant, si seulement tu avais une cervelle... pauvre toi. En plus, tu ne connais rien de nôtre mode de vie. Alors, vient donc apprendre cela ici.
did you get that D?
Oh gasp, Netizen B says I don't have a brain and know nothing of his way of life. Boo hoo.

Quoteoh, and before i forget D, Canadian is NOT english, it's French and English spoken together. how about you try?
How interesting, since no language institute I can find recognizes a language called "Canadian," only Canadian English. Which was spoken a few minutes east of my house and is mostly interchangeable with Northern-Midwest American English.

Quotelastly, i feel bad for you. bad for the fact that you believe that you're better than everyone else. oh, and i have the right to write as i please. you're not gonna tell me how i can write.
I don't really believe I'm better than everyone else, but I do believe my command of English is far superior to yours--as is the English of everyone else on this board. You are correct in one thing, though: you are quite capable of writing like your keyboard exploded, and pretending the output is English.

I can't stop you from looking like an idiot.

Nightcrawler

Quotei don't use capital letters because i don't like them.

Haha! Wow Byuu.  You really did sound like Mades.

Mades:

As rare as it is, I have to say I agree with the points being presented by D. In fact, I couldn't really argue with them if I wanted to.

Don't you think it's rather silly to argue why one shouldn't use capital letters and make their post on a public Internet board be as easily readable as possible to others? Look at members on this board we have here from other countries.  They make every effort to write better English than many of native speakers. And if they are writing something incorrectly, and somebody points that out to them, they will try and make sure they write better in the future by fixing those problems. These people may not write perfect English, but the actions I've described above earn them respect from the people here.

Taking the small bit of time to make a solid looking post can do a lot for you.  Many people are more willing to help someone who writes an intelligent looking post than one who does not. And depsite this form of communication being informal, we're still reading here.  And reading is ALWAYS easier with properly constructed sentences and grammar. It just makes logical sense that we want things to be as easily readable as possibe. Why make it harder? That makes people more likely to not read what you write.

Nobody is expecting English professor level English such as D's from everybody, but I think it's fair to ask everyone to put forth an honest effort with whatever abilities they have. Nobody is asking for perfection here, just a small effort.

Lastly, since you are a writer, (I think any English professor or proffessional writer will agree with me here) practicing your writing at it's best will only help IMPROVE your writing ability with everything you write.  There are editors for a reason, but that's no excuse for purposely writing below your abilities.

To address the 'insults'.  Fighting insults on the Internet is a lost cause as well. Sometime I engauge in some fighting for my entertainment, but in all honesty, it really goes nowhere.

Just let it roll. You need to recognize that your typed messages here are how you present yourself.  Other people can perceive only what you show here. Maybe you are a master writer, but nobody knows it by what you post here. And you can't expect them to respect an ability you haven't shown. Why not end this arguement by SHOWING D and the others here that you are an exceptional writer by writing to your best in everything that you do.

By doing this, you won't have to tell people are you a good writer.  They will KNOW you are by the obvious intelligence levels shown through your board writing.

Yes, you have the right to write as poorly as you want, but do you really want to exercise it?

ROMhacking.net - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.

D--

This is one of those rare occasions when Nightcrawler and I are in complete agreement.

If you want respect, and you want us to read your words and take them seriously, make an effort to write in some version of English, be it American, Australian, Canadian, or British. I won't get into why proper cases and punctuation are essential to fully understanding meaning in English--if you want that, fly to China and sit-in on my Wednesday morning composition class.

Nightcrawler is right. Just try your best.

If you write this kind of lax, sloppy mess on boards, it will infect your professional writing. There is no on-off switch for how we write. You should always write as cleanly and clearly as you can, and when it's time to write something besides message board posts, you won't have to struggle against bad habits.

What we do every day is how we form habits, and you are in the process of forming a poor one. It's better to change it now than to wait and attempt when it has become even more ingrained.