Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The Purple Parade is marching in full stride to the beat of that 'other' drum we all hear, but generally ignore. Wink
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wozz Feedback and minor bug report (Read 329 times)
Pete
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Wozz Feedback and minor bug report
Jan 11th, 2018 at 2:18pm

Hello Nightcrawler,

I just wanted to let you know that yesterday I finished playing Wozz. First of all: Thank you for the wonderful translation. It must have been quite a lot of work you put into it. I liked the game very much, especially the personalities of the main protagonists and the whole invention theme (for example creating vehicles).

The only thing I didn't like were the abbreviations you had to use becaue of space constraints within the menus. I've read your readme and there you explained why you did it. Maybe one day, after finishing your other projects, you will find the time to give it a try again and redo the menus. In my point of you, the game would deserve it.

So it was a bit annoying that there was just no way to see the effects the accessories had on your characters' stats. There is not enough space within the menus to show it. Some weapon and item names are a litte silly, too. But what can you do, when there are only 8 letters to use...

Apart from this, I can't see any reason to criticize your work. It was a wonderful experience and a lot of fun playing Wozz. Whenever I stumbled across a minor flaw or text clitch, I made a screenshot. Maybe this is of interest to you to improve your translation further?

It is only 14 screenshots, so you see, the quality of your translation is excellent. I guess, concerning some of the things I noticed, you won't even bother to change them as they are just stylistic.

I don't know if it's possible to post images here and I don't want to spoil the gaming experience for other people reading this post, so I would suggest I send the screenshots via mail to you. If you are interested, just let me know and send me a personal message. It would be very nice indeed, if my playthrough would help to improve Wozz still a little bit further!  Smiley

Thank you again for giving the community this translation and sorry for my English. I'm not a native speaker of the language and I did my best to make myself understood properly.

Kind regards,
Peter

IP Logged

Nightcrawler
YaBB Administrator

The Dark Angel of Romhacking

USA
Re: Wozz Feedback and minor bug report
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 3:30pm

I'm glad you got to enjoy Wozz. Your English is perfectly fine. Some of the gameplay concepts like the inventions and vehicles really were ahead of their time. Imagine what they could have done if they had ever made any sequels and refined them further!

Yes, I wish the menu and item work could have been expanded more too. If you want something done right, you need to do it yourself is the old adage. That joint project didn't work out well for sure. I sent you a PM so you can forward your images. No promises. The project was originally completed back in 2006, so it is increasingly unlikely to see any further work from me as time goes on. However, I never say never with my projects and perhaps they never really are 'finished'. Smiley

If anyone else reading this wants to take it upon themselves to do revised menu hacking work on the project, I'd certainly consider adding it into an official release. I know there are some people out there that have worked on improving old projects.

ROMhacking.net - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
IP Logged

Pete
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Re: Wozz Feedback and minor bug report
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 4:24am

Thank you for your kind answer, Nightcrawler. I've sent the screenshots to you.

Nightcrawler wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 3:30pm:
Some of the gameplay concepts like the inventions and vehicles really were ahead of their time.

This is exactly what I thought when I got to the point where you could create the first vehicle. This was well ahead of its time. Some of the gameplay concepts are quite unique, indeed.

This is why I think the game would deserve to get the menus done right. Without these little flaws it would have been one of the best SNES RPGs that I've played so far. Truly a hidden gem that isn't well-known in the US and Europe.

It took me round about 50 hours to finish it, which is quite amazing as for exaple Chrono Trigger, which is one of the most popular SNES games existing, took me only 30 hours. Wozz has some really cool sidequests, you can do a lot of things apart from the main plot. Collecting all the items you need for your inventions keeps you busy! I even found a secret vehicle that hasn't been mentioned in any walktrough so far!  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: Nightcrawler)