Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The Purple Parade is marching in full stride to the beat of that 'other' drum we all hear, but generally ignore. Wink
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
SFC Gems left (Read 41591 times)
Rodrigo Vaz
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Brazil
Re: SFC Gems left
Reply #15 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 2:25pm

khalismur wrote on Sep 10th, 2014 at 3:50am:
Ganbare Goemon games are indeed neat. I just finished the third one, but it took me a long while as my Japanese knowledge is limited. (You can get really stuck if you don't understand some points)

Another amazing game is BS Treasure Conflix. I did not progress much, but the story is quite interesting and graphics really pushed the limits of the SNES... Sadly this might never get translated.

BS Dynami Tracer seems very nice. Though I have never touched it. This really deserved an english translation aswell

You brought up some SFC lost treasures. Thanks for posting!

I think the game that used most of the snes was Tales of Phantasia.
I still remember the water reflections, the shadows, the falling leafs and the soundtrack of that intro. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
By today I'm still surprised of what they managed to do with it.
Star Ocen is pretty neat too.

IP Logged

khalismur
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Reply #16 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 7:34am

Between Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia, I'd say SO has even better graphics. Wolf Team really shined with these two gems!

In terms of hardware demand, I think DKC3, Star Fox 2, Mario RPG, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Treasure Conflix and Ganbare Goemon 3 / 4 did use most of the system's power.

IP Logged

implicid
Peasant

The Darkness, It Comes
For Us All!!!

Reply #17 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 8:51am

This time I would like to present some very unique and fun strategy RPGs for the SFC that to my knowledge have yet to be worked on.

First Queen: Ornic Senki, is a very unique game that received a makeover on the sfc by Culture brain. It was originally made by Kure Software Koubou on the Sharp x68000. The sfc version got a complete upgrade.

To me the visual and sound appeal is there although it isn't top notch like some other translated sfc games. The real magic with this game is its gameplay. Essentially you have a squad of troops to start and move around on a beautifully gorgeous mode 7 map which I absolutely love. There are forts, castles, towns, caves, forests, and other locales you can explore.

You and your troops fight other armies/creatures in real time simultaneously. Your troops that survive level up and grow stronger. Your roster grows in number and in different troop types as does the enemies you face. This allows to have the feeling of epic scale battles happening all at once right in front of you. Of course you have to think about the composition of your unit types and the equipment you give them. What makes it even cooler is that with a press of a button you can switch between the main character and any troop so if you need to switch to an archer to help out your other troops that might be in trouble then you can. It is essentially a war game that has many elements of fantasy and strategy. It can get challenging and different scenarios and quest elements are present throughout. It is a very unique and fun game that seems to be relatively unknown and I hope that it gets more attention and someone will give this a chance one day.

Here is a video of the games intro and beginning gameplay
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LRuAvFEIu5c

Next up is Genjuu Ryodan.

This is another strategy RPG largely unknown although it has some very dedicated fans. I really can't talk about this game any better than Chronomoogle so please check out the review he did on Hardcore gaming 101. http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/genjuuryodan/genjuuryodan.htm

As the pictures suggest, this is a very complex and robust strategy RPG that quickly becomes addicting. Those who know Genjuu praise it as being one of the best strategy RPGs for the sfc. Although I personally haven't played past the first few levels I would love to play it in English and give it a good play through. It's setup much like the next game I'll present where you need to gather resources on the map and take over the enemy stronghold or wipe them out. There are a lot of different unit types that do all kinds of different things besides just attacking. It really does look great and like Chronomoogle, I hope it gets much more attention so be sure to check out his article above for more info.

Here's a video of the intro and map 1
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zXk-Z7LlRe4

This next game needs little introduction.
Super Famicom Wars!

Well, I don't feel I need to go too in depth but this game is awesome. It's got humorous fun and is very addicting. Some say this game was better than the GBA entry of the series. I know people have attempted to translate this game in the past but, to this day there hasn't been one completed surprisingly. If there was ever a strategy game deserving of a translation, this would be it. It's completely playable without being in English though, but still. Tongue

Here's a video showing it off
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L3vYtUlkCUU

Im sure there are a lot of people constantly requesting this one and I'm sure it will get done eventually but, I wonder who will be the one to finally do it.....?
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2014 at 11:52am by implicid »  

IP Logged

khalismur
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Reply #18 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 3:04am

Those games look very interesting. Thanks for showing these true japanese trasures. First Queen seems to have a nice feel to it.

It's really a pitty Super Famicom Wars remain untranslated!

I wonder what you will bring up next time Smiley

IP Logged

implicid
Peasant

The Darkness, It Comes
For Us All!!!

Reply #19 - Sep 26th, 2014 at 12:37pm

Thanks Smiley I still have more to cover before I am satisfied with my contribution.

I also recently discovered another sfc game that's more of an adventure type.
It's called Ihatovo Monogatari.

Intro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CORtxvgCnLo

It seems to have a certain charm about it. Those who are familiar with it hail its sound as sublime for the SFC. This is not a typical game adventure game though. There are no bosses and fighting. Instead there is exploration and problem solving to advance the game. This would be a big turnoff for many which is why is probably hasn't resonated in the western world as much. For the japanese though, this game has much more meaning. Its based off a very popular children's book author and the game explores many of his works. I for one would love to have a go at this in english some day. It's charm, music, and visual appeal lead me to believe that many who give this one a chance might be pleasantly surprised and may even want to further explore the history which made this game come to be.

I cant say any better than the article below. It's a review I stumbled that not only talks about the game but, also talks about the author and really does a good job into analyzing the purpose and subtlety of the games tones and connections. I really recommend anyone who is remotely interested or curious about Ihatovo to check out this article. It is a great read.
https://medium.com/@SuperFamicomGuy/the-super-famicoms-best-kept-secret-welcome-...

IP Logged

Rodrigo Vaz
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Brazil
Reply #20 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 8:04am

Today I found two pretty cool games.
They are based on a old anime and plays somewhat like the mystery dungeon games.
They are:

Mahoujin Guru Guru 1

Mahoujin Guru Guru 2

There's a lot of cool mechanics too but I'm not sure how they work propely, like the cloth painting and magic.
The name of the amine/manga is Magical Circle Guru Guru.

IP Logged

implicid
Peasant

The Darkness, It Comes
For Us All!!!

Reply #21 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 6:36pm

Here are a couple more.

Esparks

I know Bongo was working on this one and stopped. He put all of his work in the abandoned section at RHDN for any party interested in taking a look.

When first looking at Esparks zelda comes to mind naturally. However there are some big differences. In Esparks you actually level up like in a traditional RPG. You also get party members that are AI controlled. I think of this game as more of a zelda hybrid with traditional elements. Presentation wise it does look nice and the gameplay is fun. I cant comprehend the story and had difficulty even getting out of the starting town due to the language barrier. Be sure to use Ritchie's guide on Gamefaqs to help you. This game seems unique enough and fun to deserve a translation so here's hoping someone comes along and picks this one up.  Wink

Video of beginning
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x196te5_esparks-ijikuu-kara-no-raihousha-le-deb...

The other game is also pretty well known and is a Nintendo original.

Marvelous: Mouhitotsu no Takarajima

A really neat game made by Nintendo, it resembles Zelda ALTTP but, you take the role of three students. Each have their own abilities and you can switch between them and use them as a group or individually. The game takes place on an island where you are a part of a boy scout group. You get pulled into an adventure with a tribe of monkeys, pirates, and other crazy stuff. The visual presentation is great and the gameplay is a lot of fun.

So you may be wondering from the screens why this game is even here because it's already in english. The answer is that it has already been mostly translated. Almost all of the dialogue has been but, the current patch is beta and there are some game crashing bugs plus a few miscellaneous things that are untranslated or undone such as the intro and some graphics plus the last bit of polishing.
See here
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2006/
No one has heard from the author since 2012 which is why I'm putting this here. Perhaps someone will try to contact the author and create an addendum patch to the already great work they have done and bring this great adventure/puzzle game to light.

Here is a video from the translation author showing the english patch with some gameplay.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ix8YLNVgZw

After the release of Marvelous on cartridge, there was an expansion or side story of Marvelous called Marvelous: Camp Arnold. To my knowledge no one has attempted to translate the BS expansion.

Video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PSuxIolUOOA

IP Logged

khalismur
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Reply #22 - Nov 10th, 2014 at 4:27pm

The time for SNES translations is sadly at its end. Maybe you can count with a two pairs of hands the amout of people still active.

This games really are interesting, but I guess they now belong to the forgotten and obscure shelves of art and culture that mankind once produced. Thanks for sheding some more light! There is SO much stuff that fell into oblivion...  Sad

IP Logged

Rodrigo Vaz
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Brazil
Reply #23 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 5:43pm

khalismur wrote on Nov 10th, 2014 at 4:27pm:
The time for SNES translations is sadly at its end. Maybe you can count with a two pairs of hands the amout of people still active.

This games really are interesting, but I guess they now belong to the forgotten and obscure shelves of art and culture that mankind once produced. Thanks for sheding some more light! There is SO much stuff that fell into oblivion...  Sad

I would not say that it's dying.
Gideon Zhi still has a lot projects and he releases a lot of translations.
Nightcrawler is working on Glory of Heracles 4 and in a tool that's gonna made the hacking of future translations more easy.
The guys at Dynamic Designs have a lot of cool games on their list like Daikaiju Monogatari (1 & 2), Aretha (1 & 2) and G.O.D.

Things sure have slowed down but I think that this is just natural as the list of games became smaler.

IP Logged

implicid
Peasant

The Darkness, It Comes
For Us All!!!

Reply #24 - Nov 12th, 2014 at 8:26am

I agree with you Rodrigo. The whole reason I even took time to make these posts are because I felt the mainstream sentiment about SFC games was slowing down. I wanted to show that there are many more titles out there that although more obscure, are artistic and unique enough that they deserve to be recognized. I hope the great romhackers of today and future romhackers who have yet to surface will be able to fall back on threads like this as a resource and find potential projects that they enjoy and as such, we all can enjoy. The snes scene is still very much alive and will be for some time.

IP Logged

Nightcrawler
YaBB Administrator

The Dark Angel of Romhacking

USA
Reply #25 - Nov 14th, 2014 at 2:58pm

I agree. Things have slowed down compared to past years, but that's only natural. The people with the most interest and expertise on the SNES are much older now with less free time. It's uncommon for new young people to take an interest in the SNES as it is very old for them and their parents generation of gaming!

Things are still going on with the NES and that's even older. A number of very obscure titles were translated this year on the NES. I've always said even if the entire catalog of untranslated games were translated, people will continue to work with the system and simply re-translate officially translated games, or raise the bar on older previously fan-translated works. Early fan translations now are getting very old themselves. It wouldn't hurt for some of them to get a technical upgrade and an enhanced translation from a better versed translator etc.

In any event, people have have made claims to various areas of the community dying for over 15 years. I don't think things are any closer now than they were then. Tongue

ROMhacking.net - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
IP Logged

RyuseiDate
Peasant

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #26 - Nov 16th, 2014 at 11:57am

khalismur wrote on Sep 10th, 2014 at 3:50am:
Ganbare Goemon games are indeed neat. I just finished the third one, but it took me a long while as my Japanese knowledge is limited. (You can get really stuck if you don't understand some points)

Another amazing game is BS Treasure Conflix. I did not progress much, but the story is quite interesting and graphics really pushed the limits of the SNES... Sadly this might never get translated.

BS Dynami Tracer seems very nice. Though I have never touched it. This really deserved an english translation aswell

You brought up some SFC lost treasures. Thanks for posting!

I'm currently working on 3 and 4. Apparently Aeon Genesis has been working on 2 for quite some time.

The reason nobody has attempted them is because of the compression.

Not only on graphics; but on the text too.

But I've programmed a decompressor for the graphics and I'm almost done working on a recompressor.

So once I've done all the modifications and made all the tools; you should see a translation.

IP Logged

Rodrigo Vaz
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Brazil
Reply #27 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 2:12am

I found this one today. It's not a rpg though.

Kishin Douji Zenki - Battle Raiden

It's only of the most beautiful games on snes in my opinion.
The gameplay is very fluid too.
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2015 at 3:13am by Rodrigo Vaz »  

IP Logged

SylarDean
Peasant

U.K.
Reply #28 - Jun 26th, 2015 at 11:30am

Here's something you guys might be interested in.. its my page on japanese Snes rpg/adventure/tactical/strategy games.
It's still a work in progress as i'm SURE iv'e missed loads out.

http://snesrpggaming.weebly.com/japzone.html

Been playing RPGs since the day I leveled out of my diapers!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: Nightcrawler)