Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The Purple Parade is marching in full stride to the beat of that 'other' drum we all hear, but generally ignore. Wink
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
SFC Gems left (Read 20203 times)
implicid
Peasant

The Darkness, It Comes
For Us All!!!

SFC Gems left
Jul 13th, 2014 at 9:35am

Hello everyone. I will try and kick some life back into this board and hopefully open some discussion on some sfc games that I believe to be possibly the last remaining gems left that to my knowledge that no one has picked or is actively being worked on. I encourage discussion and hope these games get enough attention that someone with the skill might pick one up. 

The first game is Akazukin Chacha

Check out these videos below
Intro
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2dtN4BJS6jA
Boss battle
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qb-mDVAalyw

This game has a very nice presentation. It's based off of the anime of the same name. It also has that silly anime humor in it that we all love. The music is also superb. The soundtrack is on youtube for those interested in checking it out. Lastly the gameplay department looks like a lot of fun! The spells you get continue to get stronger and the whole superwitch transformation thing is cool. Years and years ago Otaku GT was working on it but that was a long time ago and they disappeared so I really hope someone picks this one up and sees it to completion.

Next is Gokinjo Boukentai.

This game also has a great presentation and looks like a lot of fun. KingMike said he tried to get it translated in the past but couldn't get a translator. Chronomoogle said that the environment is very interactive and the leveling system is very unique. Below is a review that explains much more in better detail.

http://www.gamingsanctuary.com/GokinjoBoukentai.html

Gokinjo looks to be another fun and unique game that deserves its place in the english speaking world if someone is gracious enough to work on it.

Finally, Tadaima Yuusha Botsuchuu Okawari.

That's right people, I'm talking Dice!

I have to be honest, I have not tried this game but, I found a review for it, looked into it a little bit, and from what I found it looks like a very interesting game. Gideon is currently working on a similar game, Sugoro Quest ++ Dicenics, but this game has it's own flavor, personality, and charm.

Here's the review I found that does a really good job at explaining more about it.
http://www.gamingsanctuary.com/Tadaima_MR.html

It sounds like it has very intricate and complex mechanics. From the sound and look of this game, I'm sure it will be quite the project to tackle and translate properly so good luck to anyone who may consider it. It does look neat though and I think it needs more broad exposure to catch our attention on what could be another gem in the sfc library of untranslated games.

Check out these videos to get a better idea of what this game is all about
Gameplay
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4eAWFhPI5Yw
Demo and starting a new game
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9m3jdbUKYIo

Well that's it for now! If you know anything about or related to these games please share. I welcome any and all discussion. The more people who know about these games the better the attention they will get. I am doing my part the only way I know how since I am not a hacker or translator. I also posted these games and others over at Dynamic-Designs forum so check out the discussion there too if they catch your interest.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2014 at 9:43am by implicid »  

IP Logged

Nightcrawler
YaBB Administrator

The Dark Angel of Romhacking

USA
Re: SFC Gems left
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2014 at 11:03pm

I think a few groups have attempted Akazukin Chacha in the past, but never amounted to anything. Partial Translations comes to mind off-hand. Anyone interested could see if Neil over at RHDN still has any work from back in those days. He's a pack-rat, so he just may have some. I'm sure there was at least one other group, but the name alludes me.

Gokinjo Boukentai is new to me. I don't think I've ever seen that one. Although I'm not really an Earthbound fan, nor do I like games that try to be too cute for their own good. That's usually not my style.

I have always been partial to hybrid games like Tadaima Yuusha Botsuchuu Okawari and Sugoro Quest ++ Dicenics. I guess there just isn't that many of them and they are different. If you like them, KingMike did a translation of Popeye: Ijiwaru Majo Sea Hag no Maki, which is a similar hybrid board game. I thought it was pretty fun. Tadaima looks pretty cool. If I had any time, I'd look into it.

There are a number of games still left that I would like to see done. Perhaps if I get some time I'll write something up on some of them. We need somebody like Pennywise to scoop up a whole bunch of remaining obscure SNES games and translate them. I think we'll get there eventually. There's still plenty of life left in the SNES translation scene. We'll see some of these get taken off the list at some point.  Smiley

ROMhacking.net - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
IP Logged

KingMike
Circle of Royalty

BRAAAIIINS!

Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2014 at 10:51pm

I'd like to do Gokinjo. I even dumped it and set Ritchie (who did one of Dynamic-Designs translations, and a ton of SFC RPG FAQs for GameFAQs) a script, though I've never heard back on it.
I've heard the code was pretty sloppy (and indeed I had to modify my script dumper to detect a lot of duplicate text blocks and cut them and replace them with a flag).

On an identical post made on D-D's forum, Bongo` said he took a look at Tadaima's code and its apparently the among the scariest things he's seen. Maybe worse than Albert Odyssey 1 and 2 which D-D just officially dropped.
I keep forgetting Popeye. I swear I had a version of the ROM that didn't have a glitched intro/title but I supposed I'd do just as well to try to redo the hacking eventually than fix a years-old mess.

WWW 124792925  
IP Logged

Rodrigo Vaz
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Brazil
Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2014 at 11:16am

Akazukin and Gokinjo looks really cool.
Never heard about then before.
Tadaima looks like dokapon.

I remember playing one named granhistoria.
It was made by banpresto and was very nice.
There's not much info about it on the net. It's a pretty hidden gem.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzP9WtGZu3I

IP Logged

Nightcrawler
YaBB Administrator

USA
Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2014 at 8:39pm

Granhistoria has a very cool story and nice visuals. I once thought about doing a translation for it. However, I couldn't stand the soundtrack. That music just seems so out of tune, like there's something wrong with it. It really bothered me and I didn't find the actual gameplay that great. Although, I often play through mediocre games if they have a good story! Grin

IP Logged

implicid
Peasant

The Darkness, It Comes
For Us All!!!

Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 8:14am

Hello again! I have another group of sfc games to promote today. This time its focused on the Satellaview and some BS games that look like a lot of fun and have yet to be english.

First off we have BS Golf Daisuki! - Out of Bounds Club

This is a very fun golf game from Nintendo that spans 8 courses with 8 holes each. Random weather effects happen which effect the way you play. There are a lot of creative gimmicks and you get to play in space!

Here is a link to a very well written review.
http://retrovania-vgjunk.blogspot.com/2014/03/bs-golf-daisuki-ob-club-super-fami...

The good news is that this game is very playable without the menus or dialogue being translated. The even better news is that a script has already been translated!

Here is the link to the translated script!
http://www.dynamic-designs.us/d-dforum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=492

Next up we have a Squaresoft title which until recently I had never heard of. Enter BS Dynami Tracer!

It looks to be a fairly short game that was a Satellaview broadcast. I have no clue as to how you raise your score, but its a race of some sort where you go to other themed planets, do I-don't-know-what, and then reach the finish. Each planet is very unique and distinctly appealing. There is even an adult 18+ planet. I have no clue what that's about. One of the playable characters you can choose is a freaking Tonberry! The music is also very unique and awesome. Nobuo Uematsu does a fantastic job here. I really hope this will see the light of a translation day. Check it out!

Lastly I present BS Treasure Conflix, another Squaresoft game released exclusively for the Satellaview in JP.

This looks to be another unique game by square that involves a lot of airship dogfighting. It looks intense and the other segments when not in flight mode look good. I'm really intrigued as to what the story is about. I'm sure it's another short game but looks interesting enough that I certainly wouldn't mind seeing someone translate it.

Here is a video showing off some gameplay and music which sounds great.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-mvRsxkWKCY

Well that's all I got for now. Discuss and discover. I hope you find this helpful and enlightening.

IP Logged

Nightcrawler
YaBB Administrator

USA
Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 11:35am

BS Dynami Tracer is a neat little game. I first saw that when emulation of the Satellaview starting working well. Being a decent game and also from Squaresoft, I imagine it will get a translation at some point. I think some games like this have been overlooked because there are still RPGs needing translating. These types of games can be played and enjoyed a bit more even without a translation.

I haven't played BS Treasure Conflix. I don't know how the gameplay is, but it sure looks like it takes advantage of the system pretty well visually. Very few games used such detailed backgrounds and large character and object sprites like that. I might try this out just to appreciate the presentation. Smiley

The mode 7 reminds me of another title:

Bastard!! Ankoku no Hakaishin. It's a unique fighting game that takes play on mode 7 battlefields. It is based on the manga and has a decent story line. The controllers are a bit difficult to get used to, but it's worth a try.

Youtube videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YWZbiXTaIY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuHawR1_uHE

IP Logged

Rodrigo Vaz
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Brazil
Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 9:17pm

I've played the bastard game 2 times. Both times the first enemy killed me.................with perfect......... Sad

IP Logged

implicid
Peasant

The Darkness, It Comes
For Us All!!!

Reply #8 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 11:08am

Lol, don't feel bad. I haven't been able to beat the first ultraboss opponent either.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Rodrigo Vaz
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Brazil
Reply #9 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 10:37pm

I can't manage to do any special attacks. Only those sword charge attacks.
I'm not a Bastard fan so I never searched around on how to do the moves either. So I just gived up...  Grin

IP Logged

Gideon Zhi
Circle of Royalty

Oryaaaaa!

Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2014 at 8:48pm

I have it on good authority that Granhistoria is being worked on. Can't say who though.

IP Logged

Nightcrawler
YaBB Administrator

USA
Reply #11 - Aug 13th, 2014 at 7:38pm

I hope they work faster than me. Being worked on apparently several years for me anymore. Grin

The tool arsenal I have been developing over the past few years though may give a resurgence to me yet. Any new projects I start that don't have years of old baggage could be done far more quickly than anything I've done before. I've almost got that universal VWF stuff worked out now, TextAngel is becoming incredibly useful both with with Atlas compatibility and without, the table standard allows for doing some nice things, and now having so many years and many games of experience, I can do things vastly smarter. I just need to get these old projects out of the way dating back to so long ago. If I didn't already have translated scripts and what not, I would have started over with a clean slate at some point.

IP Logged

implicid
Peasant

The Darkness, It Comes
For Us All!!!

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 9:12am

Hello all, time for some more SFC goodness just waiting for a hacker to come and sweep it off its feet. Cheesy

What do you get when you mix a detective mermaid, mean robot, fat ninja with a hoopla hoop, and spikey haired guy with a stick?

Awesome fruit salad known as the Ganbare Goemon series.

DASH DASH DASH!!!

If you haven't ever tried getting into this series then you don't know what your missing. For those who love silly Japanese humor you will love it. For those who don't, if you can look past that you will probably love it still for its fun gameplay. Although there are many entries into the series, I would specifically like to address two great entries on the SFC. Ganbare Goemon 3 and 4.

This game looks great and in the snes era, the staple gameplay we all have come to know and love, really developed on this console. This game combines fun platforming, giant robot fighter simulation, and action/adventure RPG. This was also the first game in the series to allow all four main characters as playable and they each have their own special abilities to solve puzzles and advance in the game. The evil nun mech in the first screenshot is priceless. The humor in this game is awesome and it carries into the next one.

This is hailed by most as the best one for the snes. The story actually takes place on alien planets and the gameplay segments are crazier than ever.

Just watch the video and see for yourself.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mC2igxkwcw4

Of all the platformers still not in english on the SFC, these are by far the best in my opinion. Visually and mechanically they stand out and deserve their spot in the english library. I know hackers and translators have attempted them in the past but I hope some day someone will be able to complete them. The gracious Gideon Zhi is working on number two at the moment so everyone be sure to give him moral support as well.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2014 at 9:45am by implicid »  

IP Logged

Rodrigo Vaz
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Brazil
Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2014 at 2:18pm

Goemon games are very good looking.
The gameplay is like zelda in some parts and it's very cool.
I remember playing the 3rd one but got stuck. It didn't help either that I didn't have internet back in that time... Sad
It have some kind of RPG progression and you can get stuck easily if you don't understand it.

IP Logged

khalismur
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Reply #14 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 3:50am

Ganbare Goemon games are indeed neat. I just finished the third one, but it took me a long while as my Japanese knowledge is limited. (You can get really stuck if you don't understand some points)

Another amazing game is BS Treasure Conflix. I did not progress much, but the story is quite interesting and graphics really pushed the limits of the SNES... Sadly this might never get translated.

BS Dynami Tracer seems very nice. Though I have never touched it. This really deserved an english translation aswell

You brought up some SFC lost treasures. Thanks for posting!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: Nightcrawler)