Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The Purple Parade is marching in full stride to the beat of that 'other' drum we all hear, but generally ignore. Wink
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ganbare Goemon 3 and 4 translation project (Read 55214 times)
RyuseiDate
Peasant

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Ganbare Goemon 4 translation project
Reply #15 - Oct 19th, 2012 at 1:29pm

Thanks for the advice Nightcrawler. Anyway, the project isn't dead just to let you guys know. Infact it's far from it.

Right now, I'm making a table to dump the in-game. The in-game script uses hundreds of 3 byte controls to compress text and that's why it's going to take a while to get a good script dump.

Because of limited VRAM space for letters I may also use an all uppercase font for the in-game text.

IP Logged

RyuseiDate
Peasant

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #16 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 12:37am

The in-game Japanese font has been replaced. Still a little glitchy I know, but I'll fix it eventually. What this means is that a full translation is possible.

IP Logged

RyuseiDate
Peasant

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #17 - Nov 6th, 2012 at 5:05pm

VWF progress!

The game originally used static text rendering, so I had to change the text rendering routine to a dynamic one.

Also, I found a way to fit a full English font into the limited VRAM space as you can see.

IP Logged

Nightcrawler
YaBB Administrator

The Dark Angel of Romhacking

USA
Reply #18 - Nov 7th, 2012 at 10:12am

It's looking nice so far. Keep it up. Smiley

ROMhacking.net - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
IP Logged

RyuseiDate
Peasant

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #19 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 7:23pm

It's been a while, but I'm back with an update on the project. Recently, I've decided that I'm also going to translate Goemon 3 as well. I've pretty much finished all the text hacks for it.

Here's a video showing off some translated in-game text:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLOTV8u4O8

The translations aren't final, but the point of the video is just to show off the progress I've made with this project.

IP Logged

khalismur
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Re: Ganbare Goemon 3 and 4 translation project
Reply #20 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 3:43am

Is this also forgotten and sunk into Oblivion??

This are fantastic games, which I could finally finish with intermidiate Japanese knowledge. It would be great to play GG4 in english; I hope you are still active! Cry

IP Logged

RyuseiDate
Peasant

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #21 - Nov 16th, 2014 at 10:23am

Good news guys. I almost have a working recompressor. This means I will no longer have to expand the rom to edit the graphics.

It only has a few more bugs to work out.

Basically; this means that hacking the games will be a lot easier.

IP Logged

implicid
Peasant

The Darkness, It Comes
For Us All!!!

Reply #22 - Nov 18th, 2014 at 11:30am

Great! Well I hope it works out and you're able to complete them. Do you have a translator lined up yet? If not I would suggest you get all of the hacking taken care of first. These games are popular enough that someone is bound to follow if you can show your serious about finishing them. I wish you the best of luck.

IP Logged

RyuseiDate
Peasant

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #23 - Nov 30th, 2014 at 4:30pm

implicid wrote on Nov 18th, 2014 at 11:30am:
Great! Well I hope it works out and you're able to complete them. Do you have a translator lined up yet? If not I would suggest you get all of the hacking taken care of first. These games are popular enough that someone is bound to follow if you can show your serious about finishing them. I wish you the best of luck.

No translator yet. I want to wait until I actually dump the script. However, dumping the script will take some time. Games usually have pointer tables; but in Goemon 3 pointers are scattered.

This is a screenshot showing off what my recompressor can do so far.

Previously I expanded the rom and tricked the game into loading an uncompressed font.

However, now, the font is actually compressed and the rom doesn't need to be expanded.

The game seems to use LZSS compression on graphics. The compression uses 2 byte pointers to reference previously used data. Before uncompressed data you will always see a particular byte. This byte tells the game the length of the uncompressed data.

It combines LZSS with RLE, which is used to compress strings of zeroes into 2 bytes.

IP Logged

acediez
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Reply #24 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 9:56pm

I just registered to say how excited I am to see a translation of these games.

Since you're already working with the translations made by that one translator from youtube, please consider making a demo patch with those dialogues in. Just having that would make the game much more enjoyable.

Either way, keep up the good work. I'll stay tuned

IP Logged

RyuseiDate
Peasant

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #25 - Mar 23rd, 2015 at 12:21am

acediez wrote on Mar 3rd, 2015 at 9:56pm:

Since you're already working with the translations made by that one translator from youtube, please consider making a demo patch with those dialogues in. Just having that would make the game much more enjoyable.

Thanks for the comment man.

I updated my recompressor and now I'm able to recompress the whole font correctly.

I've also tested the recompressor with Ganbare Goemon 3 and it also works.

This means that all the Ganbare Goemon games probably use the same compression.

IP Logged

Rodrigo Vaz
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Brazil
Reply #26 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 2:01am

RyuseiDate wrote on Mar 23rd, 2015 at 12:21am:

I updated my recompressor and now I'm able to recompress the whole font correctly.

[img]

You should talk with Gideon Zhi of AGTP.
He's translating Goemon 2.
Maybe you guys can help each other.

IP Logged

acediez
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Reply #27 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 12:56pm

RyuseiDate wrote on Mar 23rd, 2015 at 12:21am:

[/URL]

I'm very happy to see you're actively working on this and making progress!

Since you're responding here, I assume here's the best place to keep an eye on the project. I've been lurking your youtube channel for some timeĀ  Roll Eyes

If there's something I can do to help, I'd be very willing. I can edit sprites and do some very basic hex editing. I've never done anything beyond replacing text, but given the right instructions, maybe I could help (And I'm juuust starting to learn japanese, so if there isn't a real translator along the way, who knows)

I've been keeping and eye on GideonZhi's progress as well. He showed a couple of screenshots on Romhacking.net of Goemon 2 last January, but I don't think he's working actively on it. I agree that you should try contacting him. (He's very active on twitter (@GideonZhi), just so you know.)

IP Logged

RyuseiDate
Peasant

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #28 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 8:57pm

Thanks for the support guys. Most likely Goemon 4 will be translated first. Unlike Goemon 3 where the pointers are everywhere; Goemon 4 uses a Pointer Table, which means it will be much easier to dump the script.

Goemon 3 will probably be translated later because in order to dump the script; I have to find each pointer by hand.

But because Goemon 4 uses a pointer table; I have no doubt that it will be translated.

IP Logged

SylarDean
Peasant

U.K.
Reply #29 - Jun 26th, 2015 at 10:44am

OH WOW! I love these Goemon games the translation work looks great, gratz guys.

Been playing RPGs since the day I leveled out of my diapers!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: Nightcrawler)