Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The Purple Parade is marching in full stride to the beat of that 'other' drum we all hear, but generally ignore. Wink
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SNES Initialization and Intros (Read 11054 times)
electrochip
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

SNES Initialization and Intros
Jun 3rd, 2010 at 5:36am

Wozz also has the same initialization issue as Emerald Dragon that I mentioned in the other thread. If I reset it after the intro then it shows up just like Emerald Dragon does. While I am mentioning that, Dual Orb II is the same way.
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2010 at 2:28pm by Nightcrawler »  

IP Logged

Nightcrawler
YaBB Administrator

The Dark Angel of Romhacking

USA
Re: WOZZ Bugs....
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2010 at 10:50am

Thanks for confirming. I figured they would as they share much of the same code. I can probably generate a series of ROMs you can try to help narrow down what is not being initialized.

I do have an interest in this. I have attempted in the past to figure out the least amount of things that need to be initialized on the SNES when I toyed with creating my own starter kit for people to learn from. I've always hated that a few learning kits out there have a hundred lines of code just to get the screen to turn color or a tile to appear as a learning tool. It works yes, but it's too overwhelming for new people.

I prefer the minimalist approach, learning only what you need as you go. The question in this case is of course what exactly do you need. Apparently I got it wrong.  I'm missing something. Embarrassed

At least I got the sound/music programming right!  Smiley

ROMhacking.net - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
IP Logged

electrochip
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2010 at 10:57pm

Nightcrawler wrote on Jun 3rd, 2010 at 10:50am:
Thanks for confirming. I figured they would as they share much of the same code. I can probably generate a series of ROMs you can try to help narrow down what is not being initialized.

I do have an interest in this. I have attempted in the past to figure out the least amount of things that need to be initialized on the SNES when I toyed with creating my own starter kit for people to learn from. I've always hated that a few learning kits out there have a hundred lines of code just to get the screen to turn color or a tile to appear as a learning tool. It works yes, but it's too overwhelming for new people.

I prefer the minimalist approach, learning only what you need as you go. The question in this case is of course what exactly do you need. Apparently I got it wrong.  I'm missing something. Embarrassed

At least I got the sound/music programming right!  Smiley

Yes music and sound work fine  Smiley Any roms you want me to try out just send them over to electrochip_@_ live.com (remove the underscores)

IP Logged

Gideon Zhi
Circle of Royalty

Oryaaaaa!

Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2010 at 10:18pm

Actually, would you mind checking out a few of mine? The intro code is almost totally identical between all of them, so if one works they all should. I've been adding intros to my SNES stuff for years, so any of the recent (post-2006) stuff should work.

IP Logged

electrochip
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2010 at 4:43am

Gideon Zhi wrote on Jun 5th, 2010 at 10:18pm:
Actually, would you mind checking out a few of mine? The intro code is almost totally identical between all of them, so if one works they all should. I've been adding intros to my SNES stuff for years, so any of the recent (post-2006) stuff should work.

No problem, which ones would you like me to try out?

IP Logged

Gideon Zhi
Circle of Royalty

Oryaaaaa!

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 12:37am

Ergh, I dunno. Live-A-Live 2.0 and Mystic Ark should be fine. The intro code is basically the same across all of 'em. If it works in one, it should work in all of 'em.

IP Logged

electrochip
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 4:52am

Gideon Zhi wrote on Jun 9th, 2010 at 12:37am:
Ergh, I dunno. Live-A-Live 2.0 and Mystic Ark should be fine. The intro code is basically the same across all of 'em. If it works in one, it should work in all of 'em.

Both work fine, I see the AG logo and "Aeon Genesis Presents" text as well.

IP Logged

Gideon Zhi
Circle of Royalty

Oryaaaaa!

Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 8:22pm

Great, thanks. That's all I needed Smiley

IP Logged

KingMike
Circle of Royalty

BRAAAIIINS!

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 1:05pm

Would a tototek be enough for verification?
I suppose I should mention I have been using one to play Rudra, and the AG logo works.

(the only issue I had so far with Rudra is that the BRA?AM spell doesn't seem to work (tried every combination and none give a Strength Up effect). Possibly a bug in the patch?)

WWW 124792925  
IP Logged

Nightcrawler
YaBB Administrator

USA
Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 2:26pm

I don't think Tototek would be good enough. That has a boot menu/screen, right? It's still acting as a middle man that touches the hardware state.

electrochip has a home made flash cart. Raw startup hardware state directly to your code without interruption. Smiley

It's not really that big a deal so long as the registers and VRAM are initialized. It was only a problem for me because I have always come at it from the minimalist perspective (as opposed to using the various overly lengthy initialization snippets floating around the web), only initializing necessary hardware registers for what features I was using.

However, my understanding of the required registers was blurred based of the different hardware states passed by individual copiers etc. Everything that has a boot screen has already touched the registers to various degrees. I never had the capability to test on the bare bones hardware directly like this.

I got my whitescreen test ROM working with him. We're going to conduct a few more tests to further reduce necessary code.

I don't know who wrote this code, but this works and was helpful for reference when I was troubleshooting was I was missing from afar.

http://www.romhacking.net/docs/176/

Hopefully, I'll arrive to a definitive minimal amount of code necessary soon. Smiley

IP Logged

electrochip
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Re: SNES Initialization and Intros
Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 3:22pm

Quote:
I don't think Tototek would be good enough. That has a boot menu/screen, right? It's still acting as a middle man that touches the hardware state.

Tototek does have it's own menu. If you flash one game to the cart it still has a menu, it comes up super fast and automatically plays the rom.

All your intros work fine with the Tototek cart.

IP Logged

Gideon Zhi
Circle of Royalty

Oryaaaaa!

Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 11:51pm

Once you figure out what the issue is, be sure to let byuu know; he'd be interested in some inconsistency between hardware behavior and his emulator.

IP Logged

Nightcrawler
YaBB Administrator

USA
Reply #12 - Jul 15th, 2014 at 8:54pm

All of the intros are fixed now and available for testing before I can do an official release.

Wozz and Emerald Dragon are available here.
Wozz
Emerald Dragon

Dual Orb 2 isn't quite ready yet. I was fixing a few more minor reported issues since the last release. Let me know if you want this one and I can post it early.

The main showstopper on the sound driver was some quirky behavior of the reset flag of register $6c in conjunction with my usage of the echo buffer. I think the latest version of higan gets this right while BSNES at the time this topic went on did not.

There was also a few missed registers on the SNES side.

I got to the bottom of the whole thing and everything is properly initialized now and should even work on homemade carts. Smiley

IP Logged

Nightcrawler
YaBB Administrator

USA
Reply #13 - Aug 13th, 2014 at 7:44pm

Dual Orb 2 is ready now as well to test for any regression. It got a nice little clean up on several issues as well as that blasted scan spell text which was never translated. Intro is also up to standard.

It is extremely challenging to update and fix stuff in a project rooted well over a decade ago (around 13 years since it started) now. You've basically got to hack your hack.  Grin

IP Logged

Nightcrawler
YaBB Administrator

USA
Reply #14 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 7:09pm

This has been officially released and is available on the downloads page.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: Nightcrawler)