Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

The Purple Parade is marching in full stride to the beat of that 'other' drum we all hear, but generally ignore. Wink
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I Found garbled text on your Emerald Dragon patch (Read 8778 times)
c.r.v.09
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

I Found garbled text on your Emerald Dragon patch
Sep 25th, 2009 at 3:19pm

I hope I'm not bothering you guys for a translation project that you've completed over a year ago as I just played this game fairly recently, but I did find some garbled text you might have missed. I found this thanks to a cheat code I found at GameFAQs, on this link here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/code/574691.html

According to the guy who submitted that on GameFAQs that code brings up the game's debug menu options & the code does work. You can use it to power level your characters, get lots of money, all those common things.

Now the garbled text....

After you close the debug menu, even if you did not choose any of the options there then run into a random battle & use the "RUN" command you'd get this:

Sorry for the very big screen shot though, I play on my emulator at max screen size & I forgot to resize the screen when I took this.

And yeah, this game seems to not run properly on snes9x version 1.51, the game freezes right at the beginning after the white dragon (Atrushan's Grandfather) fades & Atrushan starts to jump about. The game runs fine on zsnes version 1.51 though.

Brief garble, then you'd see a menu cursor that gives you two "invisible" options, both of which seems to be escape options.

This only happens once you activate the debug menu code, but if you don't the run command just shows you the normal or usual "you can't escape" message.

ADDENDUM:

OK, it's not a messed up screen caused by the debug menu nor the over shot levels I mentioned on my second post. It's a bit of un-translated text. Here's that screen from the original un-translated/patched Japanese Emerald Dragon ROM:

I have also posted this screenshot at the Emerald Dragon Reports thread for the details.
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2009 at 1:17am by c.r.v.09 »  

IP Logged

Killa B
Peasant

United States
Re: I Found garbled text on your Emerald Dragon patch
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 6:23pm

That's a hell of a screenshot! Shocked

IP Logged

c.r.v.09
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 11:29pm

I'm sorry I didn't see there's an Emerald Dragon discussion thread on another section already Sad please bear with my stupidity. Anyway, when I first encountered that garble it was when I used the level up cheat in the debug menu & Atrushan over shot his level to level 101 so I thought that messed up the game. But that wasn't the case, as I said, just opening up the debug menu & doing nothing with it causes this garble.

Now about me cheating, well to be honest when I play RPGs I'm just after the games' plot & I'm not too much of a grindfest maniac so whenever I can find cheats to level faster or have a lot of game money I go after it. Call me weak if you may, I have no qualms with it.

IP Logged

Nightcrawler
YaBB Administrator

The Dark Angel of Romhacking

USA
Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 8:18am

1. SNES9x 1.51 does not emulate Emerald Dragon properly. You'll have to either use an older version that does or another emulator. BSNES is recommended as it's the most accurate to the real hardware. The patch was fully tested on the real SNES hardware as well as BSNES.

2. The debugger is only partially implemented, doesn't fully work (as you have seen), and can cause problems. A few level gains and extra gold shouldn't hurt anything though if used in moderation. As a result of the incomplete and problematic implementation of the debugger, no text was ever translated for it, nor is it likely to ever be.

ROMhacking.net - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
IP Logged

c.r.v.09
Peasant

I Love TransCorp!

Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 12:15pm

It's all well then Smiley

At least you gave a good insight as to why you left that bit out. Somebody should ask GameFAQs to remove the debug menu cheat code on Emerald Dragon's "codes" section on their database then since it can mislead one, just as it did me.

IP Logged

KingMike
Circle of Royalty

BRAAAIIINS!

Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 4:25pm

Or at least put a warning it can glitch your game. Smiley

WWW 124792925  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: Nightcrawler)